Thursday 6 October 2011

Track Work

There's something fun about track work - the results.  There's also something boring - running in circles. But hey, if the session goes well, I'm all for it.    



Yesterday I did some track work with my footpod (calibrated via GPS).  I find it to be fairly consistent so I'm happy with that.  I used my footpod over GPS on the track because the signal +/- 3-7m can be a little awkward on the track, especially when factoring in turns.

So track work.  (Note that I am tapering so I didn't place too much emphasis and cut it short).   Its a great place to do interval work/V02 max type effort to really improve your speed & lactose absorbing abilities.  I used the 30sec full on/2 min rest approach.  I think ideally you do this for 12 times (30min) but aforementioned tapering, I didn't want to push.    However, with my recent success at speed (getting comfortable in that sub 4min k range) I still want to improve.  So here's a graph of the work:



I was very happy with the consistency.   I was reaching about 21.8kmph down the straight, and instead of dying off in the turn, a faster friend, kept me going, and I was able to keep it 20kmph through the turns to finish the 30 seconds.   The track itself is only about 337m which makes it a little awkward.   We were making it about halfway around in the sprint - him a little further (actual data shows that it was about 185-194ish metres (.19k) fairly consistently, as well as consistently getting up to and holding speed.   I've tried something similar on a treadmill when travelling for work and had no success.


Getting to the sub 3 pace is exciting.  There's no question it's fast.   I am remind of my place though to see my times barely pushing sub 3, when compared to people who can run that pace for the whole race, whether 5k or a marathon.   I may have seen that speed for just over 1km overall, but man does my respect grow (and ambition).


I think after the marathon, I will continue with my spinning and sprinting and hills and see if I can break 40min in the spring.  Good news, is my times are getting ridiculously fast (for me).     The treadmill told me something like a sub 18:49 3 miler the other day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment