Sunday 30 October 2011

Mad Dog Scramble Race Report

Ruff Ruff!

The Mad Dog Scramble.  What a fun race! It's a small event put on by XSNRG that has you running through Sunnybrook Park.  That's all they can tell you.  The course is decided on the day before.

Oh, and that
  you will get wet,
     and you will get muddy.


The course started in waves to make it a fastest finish amongst different abilities of the runners (about 160 ppl).  There are some slight course variations as well.  I was put into wave 9.    Yay (lacking some enthusiasm for a fast group)

So off we go, down from Park Lane PS in the Bridal Path into Sunnybrook.  It's slightly downhill on the road but I know I'm in for the run of my life as these guys and girls are leaving me at a 3:15/km pace.  I do my best to keep up and we average a 3:30 pace for the first half km.

Now we're in the park.  A gentle turn into the double turn fence (haha yeah right).  Hands out, push against the fence, bounce here and there now onto the path.   Going downhill, easing up pace, getting held up, now there's a really fast person who must have come from another 'course' see above who was trying to pass us.  No room.

Get to a straight drop. Use the rope to secure ourselves.  We are told by the volunteer "Next time I see you, you will be much muddier!" At the bottom near the river, a quick left and now we're running on the 'path?' down and under the bridge.  I've run across this bridge many times didn't know there was an underside.   Now running along the road. Why not run on the road? haha.  Narrow treacherous pathway - someone has already twisted an ankle (one less competitor!) and finally into an "open" grassy area. Pass a couple from another group.

Now the first water crossing.  They've said it can go up to your nipples sometimes but well maybe it was low.  Water around the knees or lower and VERY COLD.  The cold water is kind of therapeutic.  No pain anymore.  Just cold wet feet. This puts on a new race - who can tolerate it.  From here a short up and down followed by another river crossing.   Burr

For the first hill hike I was already tired.  You've got tree roots and the grip of your shoes to help you. The more worn path of 100 runners all doing this hill does not make it easier.   We get to the top and have a 1 foot or less path to run on but at least the incline is stable.  After a min, I've caught my breath and I'm running pretty fast.  I catch up to a few runners near Bayview, and pass going down the gully into the park again.  This part I've done many times - its part of my easy trail.  Knowing the route and coming onto flat territory, I've picked up the pace again, and running between a 4:00 and 4:25min per k pace. One more river crossing - here I get passed by wave 10 boy they are fast! Follow along and then another big massive hill.

A few more massive ups (walking) and quick downs (sliding or high tempo) we are following along, jumpng logs, ducking grabbing and going wild.   Another river crossing and back to open area.  6k in (only?) or so I had my first slip up on flat ground.  Thankfully not very painful in the mud etc - everything is so soft that a fall doesn't hurt.   A few more slips as I pass people (it is a race?) and I am still following the right trail.  (It's well marked but hard to follow haha).  Up down, up down, 100 fallen trees to dominate, and now the final part.  We have to climb that first rope down part - that was tough as I had no grip with my shoes but I used my arms to pull up.   Finally back onto the path where I managed to get myself to run one last time, and on to the open road.

For the last 1/2 km, I've recovered again, picked up speed and settle in nicely, passing another 5 people, and sprinting to pass one more at the finish.  I'm not sure of my place yet.   I ran the 8k in 46:44.  It's hard to judge effort.  I know I worked hard but it seems slow.  Elevation gain and loss is 192m (630 feet), which also doesn't seem like much as you are going up and down.    What can I say? it was tough, it was fun, it was muddy, got a few scrapes, and I got wet.

I had a great smile on my face at the finish, had some excellent post race food and enjoyed the company of new friends.  

 
To be updated later with more pics and placing results!

No comments:

Post a Comment