Tuesday 6 December 2011

The bump post

Just bumping my blog out of oblivion.   I didn't really forget about it, I just haven't been running much lately.


So now it brings me to today.  I am again training.  This is still a rebuilding phase but my training is starting to pick up.   I appreciate that I really didn't lose too much fitness over my month off - still can run for over an hour, and still can dish out the speed when needed, and my weight was pretty stable.


My training now is designed to build up my base.  I think I'm looking at around 50-60 kms per week of old school stuff (back to varsity style training).   A few base aerobic runs per week, plus 2 speed workouts, a long distance/over distance run, a day for cross training and a day off.

So far its been as follows:

Sun - Long distance - 17k.  I cut 1km short because the route went past my condo - can you blame me?  It was a pretty decent workout at a 5:10 pace for about the first 10k, followed by a gradual pickup to some 4:45 pace work, with one fast 4:15 down a major hill.    Overall average - 4:58.

Mon - 10k aerobic run - just going for a certain pace at a mid-level effort.  I set the treadmill to an incline of 1, and warmed up for a couple min, followed by a quick progression to 8mph / 7:30/mi or 4:39 pace.   My foot pod was telling me 4:47 so I was going with that.  It's hard to say which was the accurate one, but both were being consistent, which is what you really want.  My splits were 5:01, 4:47, 4:47, 4:47, 4:47, 4:47, 4:47, 4:45, 4:45, 4:45.  Average HR 160 bpm, but it was creeping up to 164-165 by the last few kms.    

No problems from the Achilles tendon which is great - just a little sore in the front from increasing the use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment