Sunday 18 December 2011

Back to running week 3

Yay week 3!

I think one of the rules of thumb is it takes about 3 weeks to get used to something, so by finishing a 3rd week of running I am getting used to running, again.  Although I've given up my weekend sleep ins, I am more happier to be hitting the road or trail than to do nothing.

So how was this week?

Mon - Easy run - just an average go out there and run it.   Of course, with this awesome weather lately, it was more of a go on the treadmill and tough it out.  Still, I am glad to see it becoming easier again to run your basic 10k.

Tues - An up tempo interval session.  This is a 50% increase already (sounds huge!) from last week.   What it actually is, is a 50% increase from 60seconds to 90 seconds at 10 mph x 10 repeats.  A pretty good workout that shows me working at a fairly high end pace, but 'low enough' that I can keep doing it.    To me 10mph is always been the barrier.  For my goals, I really want to be above 10mph for long distances and I've always wondered the best way to break it (if you weren't born with the talent).    While I can sustain something closer to 11 or a little higher for short periods of time (a few min) this seems to be a good place to train for now on my fast days.    This workout also had a warmup and cooldown.  Each rep has a 2min easier rest pace in between.    10mph is about a 3:44 min/km pace - pretty intense!

Note - this appears that it may one day become a Yasso 800 at 10mph - to indicate that I can run a 3 hr marathon - that would require 10x3min @ 10mph with 3min rests.


Wed -Just an easy run outdoors for 8k with a friend.   Good to have someone to talk to!

Thurs - Off - holiday party is a great way to spend an evening

Fri - Make up session - two 3k up tempo sessions.   I kept it at 9mph for 12:30 for each with a 1 min rest/walk between.   To me the rest is probably more difficult because you need to start it up again.   Needless to say, I was able to finish no problems.   9mph is a pretty decent pace.   Not all out, but definitely up tempo.     9mph is about a 4:07 min/km pace.     My goal pace would be about a 8.7mph pace for the marathon - a 6:53/mi or a 4:14/km.

Sat - Long day - Longest run yet - 13.1 mi/21.1km.   Trail run.  Thankfully a muddy trail froze over in the frigid -15c weather.... Did I mention that it was +10c on Thurs?  Oh to live here...  This run felt pretty good from an energy perspective, but I was wearing my winter shoes for the first time.   These are trail shoes that are great for the snow as they have a gator (sp?) that gives you a nice waterproof layer over the shoe - and it's built in.   I've seen mixed reviews of it, but I am a fan.  Its the Saucony Razors.   My feet felt like bricks, but there's some benefit to that too.  Keep it slow and steady and you will get used to it.


Sun - Planned - going for a 13k run - just easy paced with a little faster (sub 5) for the last 6k.     Should be nbd (no big deal).   


Total kms for the week - 77.5.  A little on the high side for coming back into it, but I will continue to read my body and progress at the right pace.


No comments:

Post a Comment