Thursday 10 November 2011

Rebuilding Phase

Post-marathon is an interesting phase.  I've taken a keen interest in things like pizza and alcohol, not running as often as I was, and faster intensities when I do run.   Seems like I'm also not that motivated when I get home when its pitch black out too.   Oh and then my achilles tendon has gone past the point of guessing - its tendinitis, and I need to stay off for a while.

So what do I do?

Well I am going to take up some cardio alternatives

Spinning - I've actually been spinning quite a bit - about once a week during my training.  It's a fun activity and good for getting my HR to practice being in a variety of zones, and having to work hard on and off.  Believe me, its tough to go all out, then try again.  Even with a rest - your body likes to turn off a bit.  So with a proper warm up and practice and timing yourself not to push it 100% each time (maybe 95%).  

Anyways to keep up interest, I've been adding little things to my biking/spinning (I have a tri bike on a fluid trainer as well).  I've been adding ant+ sensors to track with my garmin (310xt) and well I have bike shoes that I've never used (I switched form clipless pedals to baskets (I hate falling) so with useless shoes, I was proud of myself for buying and switching the cleats to an SPD cleat.  I should be able to use that to spin now.  Cool.

Aqua running (Deep water) - This is considered good cross training for running - better than biking (as it uses the same muscles/motions - back of leg vs front of leg) and because its in the water, there's no impact + thus a good recovery practice.   It may help to use a floatation device in deep water but not necessary (just have to tread).  The first time I tried it, I thought the gym pool would have a float belt (Goodlife) as the prior gym (Extreme) did.  Well at my location anyway.  So I was excited for deep end stuff because the old pool was also just a lane pool at the same depth of 5'.

So there I was trying to figure it out - do I use the rescue bouy? No that's probably not smart.  So I pick up a couple of pool noodles and float on them like a little kid.  I was certainly a laughing stock in my mind.  The best part is the pool is exposed by a windowed walkway into the gym, and another one by the heavy weights area.  I'm sure people thought I was the biggest douche they've ever seen in the pool but they were polite enough not to laugh.    I hope you get a good laugh reading it.  I acted though as it was manly as heck as I am manly taking my injury seriously and trying not to run on it unlike the weekend where I was sprinting along up and down Mount Royal in Montreal.  


Okay maybe one or two pics to keep my blog interesting:



(view from popular lookout on mountain)


Weights - haven't explored this yet, but I will probably work on hip flexors/core and leg muscles, and back.  It's a good time to get my body back in order before the next round of training.


Thanks for reading! 




2 comments:

  1. Couple of questions for you on the tendinitis, if you would: Did you phase out running altogether during your recovery? I'm currently suffering from the same, and am without access to a gym.

    Most of the advice I've seen online seems to suggest completely eliminating running. I was curious if this was your approach as well, or if there would be runs in your routine (recovery runs, long slow distance, etc.) that you kept up in spite of the injury.

    How long did your recovery take?

    Thanks for the help, and congrats on an impressive year of running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,

    I noticed it pretty early on so I took off two full weeks of running to heal. I found other activities were okay such as water running or cycling.

    After that I eased back in to the first few weeks of 10min or so just to get the activity back. If you feel anything you want to stay off it.


    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete